Friday, July 29, 2011

We Bullet the Words At the Mocking Birds, Singing

      Last Sunday my parents and I had a Christening to go to, for my cousin's third. Naturally, since my mother is the most undeservedly criticized and mocked of the family, she didn't want to go. But my dad insisted. Sigh. This meant forsaking our gorgeous summer Sunday afternoon to sit at a table to listen to the rest of the very....er....well of family talked themselves up, competing for who displayed the most money. It went a little something like this:

"Well, I just bought a four-family house after I vacationed in Portugal."
"Well, I just bought a new beach house in Florida, and it has a top of the line pool."
"Well, I just bought a whole development of beach houses in Florida, and they all have pools!"

I don't mind the blatant snobbery after a while; it just grates on me that none of them appreciate the pursuit or importance of knowledge the same way I do; in fact, my uncle (the richest, who bought the housing development) says that books are a waste of time and that it's stupid to read them because they were written by man. Well, I'm all for people having their own opinions, but seriously! Just because it's a book written by *gasp* a human doesn't mean we can't learn something from it. Has he ever heard of nonfiction? Probably not.

Anywho I wore this delightful little ivory dress from Forever21; it was splattered with cute little black polka dots, had those gathered 80's type sleeves, and an elastic gathered waist. Normally I love dressing up but when I consulted my copy of Emily Post's Etiquette (a book! I read one! How scandalous!) I discovered that normally Christenings and Baptisms are very informal, intimate events for your closest family members and friends.


Pretty little red manicure, Rimmel Lasting Finish Pro in Stiletto Red.
       That's my backyard in the background there. Very green, no? My backyard's quite tiny but to me it's a little piece of paradise in this urban prison.
       That little green pot thingy I'm holding was the centerpiece at our table. Isn't it the cutest?! Although the party was in the middle of the summer, this centerpiece just makes me think of spring. This centerpiece is the epitome of spring. The very essence of springiness. I think those are white carnations and some sort of pink baby's breath or something. If any of you readers out there know what flowers those are, please enlighten me. Haha.
Look at little baby Megan! Trying to use my hand as a teething ring!

No comments:

Post a Comment