Friday, July 22, 2011

Wizarding Chess, Anyone?

      Last night, as my mother and I were attempting to clean out a little bit of our basement, I stumbled upon an old, rather beaten up, and exquisitely carved box. I asked my dad what it was, and he said he had bought it 15 years ago at a flea market in Englishtown, New Jersey. The box opened up, to reveal a bunch of little hand-carved stone chess pieces lined up in the felt interior; the outside of the box, when folded open, acts as the chess board. IT'S MARVELOUS. I swear, it was the best thing we found cleaning today, better than the thermos or the deluxe massaging foot spa tub thingy.
Look at the intricately carved sides! And that precious clasp!

Those little stain-like markings are actually stamps that say "made in Korea". Sigh.
One side of the board has grey soldiers, the other, olive.

Sorry for the flash!

The Rook! So much detail! *Swoons*

And here's the Knight! Doesn't it look just like the knight Ron Weasley played in Sorcerer's Stone?   

Okay well maybe it's not an exact match...but it's pretty damn good, and God knows how old this set actually is, since my dad got it at a flea market.
      I really wish my camera had gotten better photos...my cell phone camera just does not to justice to this incredible find.  Really, you it's hard to see most of the incredible skillwork that went into each unique piece. What a treasure.                        

No comments:

Post a Comment