Sunday, October 2, 2011

Will You Accept My Apology?

      I am sorry.

      I am sorry that I haven't blogged in over a month.

      Will you accept my apology?

      In the mean time, I'll tell you what happened since I last blogged on here. Well, to begin with, we were hit by Hurricane Irene and lost power for sometime, which was actually kind of fun. I've never been much of a ringer for technology, mostly because I am afraid of a dependence on it. But when a tree was uprooted by the storm and brought a breaker down with it, I woke up on Sunday morning I realized that the familiar, almost inaudible hum of our household appliances was gone.  It was the first time that I had ever seen all of my neighbors outside, together. We actually met a lot of people we didn't even know lived on our block. Yet, we still yearned for news of the outside world. Dealing with this shock, I'd sit in front of the television, staring at it, hoping that my supersonic stare would somehow bring Channel 5 to life again. Eventually, I ceased my supersonic stare, and the neighbors began badgering a PSE&G worker as to when we'd get our electricity back; he said we'd have it back in at least five days, which caused much panic among everyone. My mom fished a few boxes of fruit juice bars out of the freezer and we tried to feverishly eat them before they melted. I began making a list of all the things I could do to entertain myself for the next few days: I'd sew back all the buttons that had fallen off my clothes, I'd read some books, give myself a mani/pedi, dust my room, reorganize my closet, etc. That day I pulled my legos off of my shelf and began tinkering with them again, underneath a window because it was starting to get dark. Towards the end of the day, I was really enjoying myself and began embracing the lack of electricity, but while we  were eating dinner surrounded by assorted scented candles (vanilla, key lime pie, cinnamon, raspberry candles are a strange scent combination...) we heard a little snapping sound, then a long buzz, and slowly all of our electronics came back to life. I was a glass box of emotions, simultaneously happy and discouraged. It turns out PSE&G had to return our electricity so fast because the fallen breaker had knocked out a few stoplights on the main avenue.
     
      Then it was time to go back to school, so I had to become acclimated with a normal sleep schedule again. And I had to get back into the groove of massive amounts of AP homework.

      And so here I am. Resurrected from the blogosphere dead. Did you miss me?

Image via Google

No comments:

Post a Comment