Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Glimpse of My Lace Collection: Part 1

I'm finally back on the blogosphere! I've had posts written up, and dresses sewn, but I was just so caught up with school that it seemed impossible to get enough time in to write a sincere and comprehensive blog post.

My Grandma recently sent me her lace trim stash, since she hasn't sewn in years and appreciates the pleasure I take in sewing. So, as I've been measuring and documenting the various trims and flounces for easy reference, I decided to share my treasures with my dear readers! Most of the lace trim is American, of synthetic materials, from the 70's and 80's. Some of it is soft, crochet lace, truly lovely, and was probably purchased in Portugal (where she lives) or handmade there.

74.5 inches of 2.5 inch wide lace edging
This variety is my widest, with a great geometric floral design. There's a little over 2 yards, but just in cut up pieces--the smallest piece being barely 5 inches long and the longest, 18 inches.

6.5 inches of 1.5 inch wide cotton eyelet 
Sadly, I've only got a little over 6 inches of this super cute eyelet--I think I could still work it into an Edwardian day dress, maybe in the neckline decoration layered with other lace trims!

74 inches of 5/8 of an inch wide acrylic lace edging
I'm no lace historian, but this one screams 1970's to me. It's stiff, has a clunky but cute design, and the generic scratchy feel of the acrylic stuff from Wal-Mart. But I've got so much of it! 

84 inches of 1.5 inch wide acrylic lace trim
 This one was purchased in Portugal, but I think it's also synthetic. The design is a bit overwhelming, but rather charming.

133.5 inches of 1 inch wide daisy lace trim
This one is also from Portugal, and very similar to the one above, sort of stiff and shiny, but a cute modern design. I really can't think of what to do with almost 4 yards of it, but it's very cute.

182 inches of 3/4 inch wide lace edging
This is by far one of my favorites. For one thing, I have 5 yards of it! I can just imagine trimming necklines, chemises, camisoles...This lace edging is small, delicate, and incredibly soft--the top edge is rolled netting. But it's just so soft, light, and dainty...I can't wait to use it!

Embroidered collars
I've got four of these--it looks like it takes a pair to make a collar. There are flower appliques and embroidery on this shiny synthetic piece, which also leads me to peg it from the 70's. The material is just so stiff and shiny...ugh!

So tell me...which is your favorite? Your least favorite? 

1 comment:

  1. I know it's synthetic but I adore the heart one!

    ReplyDelete