Friday, June 21, 2013

Vintage Pattern Stash: Part 2

I left off showing you some of my favorite 60's and 70's sewing patterns that I was gifted by my grandma. The sewing patterns I'll be showing in this post are mostly from the 1970s, but surprisingly they lack that gaudy and auspicious hippy vibe I was expecting them to have. Maybe that's my fault for falling into stereotypes, but I've seen sooo many Gunne Sax patterns on the interwebs I was almost convinced the 70's didn't produce anything but.

What a great base for a button down shirt. I'd make the collar less exaggerated, and maybe I'd play with pintucks or embroidery on these plainer styles. But still a great wardrobe basic!
Also includes a pattern for that exaggeratedly large tie!
This pattern is missing its sleeve and its collar, but frankly the collar isn't a major selling point on the dress and is a detail that dates this look.

Another great wardrobe staple, that doesn't look too outdated.

I've never seen a neckline like this, but I imagine it would look fantastic on a peplum top--an unusual touch on a trendy garment.
It says "Misses Short Dress"--I hope they don't mean "Short" as in those tragic Forever 21 dresses that make even my 5'3" frame look morally questionable.
A mail-order pattern from STAR magazine. Love the belt!
UPDATE: While going through Vintage Martini's collection of vintage patterns for sale, I came across this pattern that is from the same distributor as my mail order pattern! They are both from the same year (1979), but what is even more exhilarating is how similar they are in design--there are only slight differences with the collar, and the Vintage Martini pattern has sleeves. But how spectacular! And here I thought, my pattern was just floating in the wind, with no family hahaa.

The next and final installment in this series will conclude with the 80's patterns a was given: a rather sad bunch, but they are appreciated nonetheless--and with this new wave of trendy hipsterdom, I can imagine how some of those 80's shapes can be interpreted with a modern view and still look fresh.

1 comment: