A few notes on construction--I originally figured that the sleeves would but cut as one with the shirt, but to get the most out of my fabric, I decided to cut the shirt traditionally and sew the sleeves to the armholes.
Fiddling with the bias binding on the front of the shirt seemed to take forever, but it has such a crisp and military look! When I was putting my handmade "bias binding" around the neckline, I realized all those yards of handmade bias binding weren't on the bias at all! Sigh...either way, the straight grain binding was suitable enough for trimming the sleeve cuffs and making the front decoration. I ended up making a new length of real bias binding for trimming the neckline, and since my boyfriend wanted a more rugged, worn look, I sewed it on by hand with a few threads of slightly darker red embroidery thread I had leftover from my 18th Century Embroidered Pockets.
I still need to sew on the buttons, hem the shirt, sew on the basted front trim, and sew more trim onto the sides mimicking the pattern of the trim at the shoulder of the shirt.
|Close up on the front detail--the red button placket thing is only basted on.|