Costume Contest and Thoughts on the Bronzino Gown

I've entered Costume Works annual Halloween Costume Contest! You can view and vote for my entry, the Bronzino gown, here!  You can view and vote for all of the entries for 2013 on this page. Voting closes on November 20th so be sure to check out all the lovely entries before then!

On another note, I have some thoughts on my Bronzino Gown:

  • I definitely need to shorten the back waist on this pattern. I had already hacked off an inch from the waist all around, but maybe this discrepancy was also due to the crazy angle of my lower back/waist. It was really difficult to gauge where the back waist hit when the dress was half-assembled. 
  • Next time I make a gown mostly with synthetic materials, I should photograph it before completion. I didn't realize how wrinkly the back was (partly due to the waist being too long!) until I saw it in photos.
  • Next time I might also try a lightly corded bodice.

The next Italian Renaissance gown I make will likely be a Vincenzo Campi style dress, hopefully made of mostly non-synthetic materials. I also want to see the difference between a side-laced and back-laced dress. I think that applying the trim all around the back will be much easier if the dress is side-lacing, something I didn't realize when I was designing this dress a year ago (the trim on my gown didn't go all the way around the back because I just didn't have enough of the lace). The Campi style dresses are also more practical for Ren Faires and seem to have more options for accessories, in terms of partlets, sleeves, and aprons.

Vincenzo Campi's Fruitseller, c. 1580
Campi's Kitchen, c. 1580
Campi's Fishmongers, c. 1580
Which is your favorite Campi painting?

Popular Posts