This weekend I was able to actually get ahead of my homework and earned a few free hours. The mending pile in my sewing area needs attention, but my parents have been spring cleaning and redecorating so naturally my sewing area is hidden behind boxes, chairs, etc.
One of our recent projects has been recovering our kitchen chairs. The chairs and table were given to us by my aunt when she moved, so the raffia seats had a bit of wear that only increased with time.
The Fabric Warehouse was our usual haunt last year when we bought the material--a divine upholstery fabric for only $6 a yard. The foam and batting was bought at Joann's, and the wood and tools were sourced by my dad.
The chairs came out so nice that we were terrified of spilling something on them! We bought a clear, vinyl tablecloth and stapled it around the seat to protect against spills. The vinyl slipped and tore upon contact with the staples, so I was able to put my fabric scraps to good use: we used strips of the thick lining of my Bronzino gown to add grip for the staples, and it came out great!
I found this detail of a painting on Tumblr, sadly without any information on the painting, but I fell in love! I wanted to try a blog with cool, clean colors. Let me know what you think about the new design!