Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award

I was so pleased to be nominated for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award by none other than the talented Anneliese! Anneliese blogs at The Young Sewphisticate, creating gorgeously intricate garments that span the early 1800s to the 1950s! She even does costuming for plays, with spectacular results!

Official Award Rules: 
  1. Thank the blogger who nominated you, linking back to their site
  2. Put the Award logo on your blog.
  3. Answer the ten questions sent to you.
  4. Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer
  5. Nominate ten blogs.
Now, onto the blogging fun...

1) 
Thank you so very much, Anneliese! It's so nice to receive a blog award, especially from someone as talented as you. In times of doubt, this kind of recognition really helps me get back on track, both with blogging and sewing. Thank you, Anneliese, from the very bottom of my heart!


2)  Done!


3) Anneliese's Questions: 

Why did you begin blogging?
I began blogging in 2012 to document my biggest sewing project up until then, the creation of 5 Italian Tarantella folk dancing costumes. I really wanted to share my process for anyone out there who was also looking for information on those costumes and, like me, had a very difficult time finding it. 

Who or what sparked your interest in costuming?
I can owe my interest in historical costume first to my love of historical art. As a young teen, I began to see how art changed throughout the centuries--and even more evident, how the clothing of the subjects changed, too. My curiosity was spurred by wanting to know what the Renaissance really meant for fashion. Once I fell down that rabbit hole, I tried to absorb as much information as I possibly could, and I had a new place to funnel my adequate craft skills.

What do you find more exciting: the designing or the sewing process for your costumes? 
Oooh, I llove both but designing is very exciting! I love late-night hunts for the perfect fabrics, going through my bead collection to pick the right beaded accents, and making haphazard sketches, but after a few weeks of designing I get restless and need to start bringing my designs to life. 

What is your all-time favorite period drama?
James Cameron's Titanic. I have cried every time, since the first time I watched it as a 4 year old.

If you could travel anywhere in the world for a week (all expenses paid), where would you go?
I would go to Portugal, the land of my parents and ancestors. Even though I go there nearly every year, this small country still has so much to see!! And being with all my family there is priceless.

If you could have a conversation with anyone from the past, who would you choose & what would you ask them?
I would choose Marie Antoinette because she is so enigmatic. She represents an entire era, and its demise. Just as she was then, she continues to be surrounded by a horribly false and widespread reputation. I would ask her about her husband and what she felt toward him; who hurt her the most; how she felt about the gossip; what her relationship with women like the Duchess de Polignac was like emotionally, mentally, and physically; and what, to her, it meant to be Marie Antoinette, to be the Queen of France and the symbol of an era.

Which do you prefer more: mornings or evenings?  Why? 
Mornings. I'm always sleepy in the evenings! I start to feel drowsy by 6 pm. I've always had early morning classes and jumping right out of bed at 6 am is habitual. 

What accomplishment(s) in the past year made you the proudest?
I'm a volunteer for the Hobart Manor Restoration Committee, an organization which raises funds to restore and preserve a historic building on my university's campus. This year, I worked with the university's film crew to create a video tour of Hobart Manor. I'm so proud to represent such a beautiful building, and to be part of the force that keeps history alive.

What do you hope to accomplish this year?
I hope to be more dedicated to the Historical Sew Monthly than I have been in past years. One of my thesis projects is to research the societal, philosophical, and governmental influences on French fashion before, during, and after the French Revolution--with accompanying examples handmade examples of the garments to use during the presentation of my thesis!

What is on your sewing wish list? 
Gingher shears, a serger, a self-healing cutting mat, a (very scary) rotary blade, and lots of chiffon!


4) My Questions: 
What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of your sewing space?

What is your favorite color? Do you tend to sew more things in that color?

What is the largest/most difficult sewing project you have ever tackled?

What is your favorite sewing tool, the one you couldn't live without?

What is one crafting technique (beading, embroidery, scrapbooking, etc.) you'd like to try in the coming year?

Fill in the blank and explain your choice: Sewing is like __________

What, in your opinion, is the most challenging aspect of sewing?

If you could live in any historical building, anywhere in the world, for a week free of charge, where would you live?

How did you come up with the title of your blog?

What is your favorite day of the week and why?

5) My Nominations:  These bloggers are such an inspiration; I live vicariously through their amazing creations!

Miss Brilliantine at B*tch, Pelisse!
Not only does Miss Brilliantine win an award for her super-creative blog title, she also deserves to be recognized for her witty writing and elegant creations!

Kathleen at The Midvale Cottage Post
Kathleen's blog is a treasure trove of sewing tips and patterns from vintage magazines. I'm always so charmed by the 1920s home sewing tips she publishes, and I even used one of these to make my 1920s dress!

Lydia Gastrell at The Antique Sewist
Lydia constantly produces gorgeous garments from a variety of time periods. Her pattern reviews and tutorials are also invaluable tools for the historical sewing community!

Bianca Esposito at The Closet Historian
I love reading Bianca's detailed Closet Histories series, and her endless amount of perfectly coordinated outfits are so inspiring! Bianca has a great sense of fashion, which she pairs with tremendous sewing skill.

Miss Hendrie at Miss Hendrie's Workbook
It is always a pleasure to see what lovely new garment Miss Hendrie has sewn. She is always spot-on with little details and great fit! I especially love her beautiful teens-era garments!

Hana - Marmota at Marmota's Dress Diaries
Like me, Hana - Marmota is fascinated by folk costume--I love seeing her posts documenting the folk costume of the Czech Republic! I'm so glad I found her through the Historical Sew Monthly because her creations are so inspiring!

Gabriela Juranek at La Reine de Retro
I LOVE Gabriela's blog! Talk about a picture speaking one thousand words...though Gabriela's blog is written in a different language, her photos capture all of the amazing gowns she makes.  I am always fascinated by how she just perfectly nails the 19th century look--she looks just like she stepped out of a Winterhaler portrait!

Glennis Siegfried at The Modish Victorian
Glennis' Victorian sewing game is so strong--have you seen her fabulous 1890s Bathing Costume?? I love following her meticulous attention to detail and design, and the finished product always reminds me of a fashion plate!

Kat at Madame Modiste
In addition to creating breathtaking Victorian outfits, Kat also makes Regency and 18th century garments. Take a look at all of her amazing Victorian formalwear--but make sure you're sitting down, because you will jump out of your seat!

Amber Mendenhall at Lady of the Wilderness
Even though I found Amber's blog just a short time ago, I'm already addicted, on the edge of my seat waiting for her next post. She is truly a talented artist, and even shares her own crochet patterns!

Congratulations and have fun! 


Popular Posts