On the Worktable: Daenerys and a Female Hobbit

Though my summer months aren't significantly less stressful or busy than those during the academic year (internship, job, etc.), I still find more time to sew. I'm just wrapping up the Smocked Berry Dress UFO after ripping it apart and pretty much starting from scratch.

I also have several costumes I've been commissioned to make!

Daenerys Astapor/Dragonscale Dress

I'm particularly excited to make Daenerys' Astapor/Dragonscale Dress from Game of Thrones because it pushes me a bit out of my comfort zone. I will also be making the matching cape seen in some scenes. With this costume, I will learn new skills, such as the dragonscale smocking, and sharpen old ones, such as pattern drafting and alterations.

via Michele Carragher



via Pinterest

Several versions of this dress were made, each with increasingly intricate dragonscale embroidery and texture. However, every screenshot shows a different shade of blue, which made selecting fabric particularly trying. To help my client and I select the best fabric, I created a Pinterest board with screenshots and a seemingly endless array of potential fabrics. We wanted something with a "natural" texture--a fabric with an obvious weave, similar to linen, but inexpensive like cotton. Eventually I bought 15 yards of Kona Cotton in Pacific, with enough left over to make at least another Dragonscale dress should anyone else want one!

via Vogue Fabrics
To make the dress I will be tweaking McCall's 6941, converting the tabard skirt to an overlapping "tulip" shaped skirt.

McCall's 6941

Female Hobbit Costume

As if this wasn't enough! I'm also quite excited to make a Female Hobbit Costume, for which I have also created a Pinterest board which will develop as I find inspiration and materials. After making all those Italian Tarantella costumes, another variation of the "wench" style will be a piece of cake...I hope!

via AlleyCatScratch
Since there are endless variants of this costume, the hardest part so far has been determining skirt length, bodice shape, trim, colors, etc. This costume will include a rust-colored ankle-length skirt, an ivory short-sleeved blouse, a smocked beige apron, and a green front-lacing bodice with darker, contrast bias binding. Whew!

For this costume, I will be altering Butterick 6196 to a short-sleeved blouse. I plan on using Butterick 4669 for the bodice and drafting the apron and skirt.

Butterick 6196
Butterick 4669 - View A (upper left corner)
Ironically, I have not seen The Hobbit, nor do I watch Game of Thrones...maybe these costumes will be my gateway drug to them?

Ready? Set? BREAK!

What projects--for yourself or others--are on your sewing table this summer?

Popular Posts