Baking Cookies from the 1912 Fannie Farmer Cookbook

My foray into the world of Youtube continues with some experimentation of recipes from my 1912 copy of the Fannie Farmer New Book of Cookery!


1912 Orange Circles Recipe:

3 tablespoons butter 2/3 cup sugar Juice of 1 orange Grated rind of 1 orange Few grains of salt 1 3/4 cups flour 1. Put butter and grated rind in a bowl and work until creamy using a wooden spoon. 2. Add sugar gradually, continuing the beating; then add salt, orange juice, and flour, a little at a time. 3. Toss on a floured board, pat and roll to 1/8" thickness. 5. Shape with a circular cutter, first dipped in flour, put on a sheet covered with a buttered paper and bake in a moderate oven.* *Bake for 10 mins in a 350 degree oven. Let the cookies cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

I made the all the clothes I'm wearing in this video (including the corset!) using historically appropriate techniques and textiles. This outfit represents what a kitchen maid in the early 1900s may have worn when making this exact recipe.
Notes on the recipe: this recipe produces a light, citrus-y cookie that is perfect with afternoon tea. The batch made about 15 cookies; yield will vary based on the size of cutter you use. I used salted butter, so I omitted the salt from my batch.

Popular Posts