Medieval Veil

Though it's been a while since my last post, I have been quite the busy bee sewing garments from a range of time periods which I can't wait to show you! My next few posts will discuss my 2015 Halloween costume, a somewhat historically accurate Medieval ensemble.

By June, I had decided that my 2015 Halloween costume would be Medieval (possibly a queen or saint). Conveniently, Medieval fashions commonly include a head covering that eliminates the fuss of styling my straight, fine hair (more information on Medieval headwear and Medieval headresses here). I chose to make a veil, which seemed fairly popular during the 12th through 15th centuries.

My veil is made of cotton muslin. It is cut in a D-shape, with the straight edge framing my face and the curved edge falling down my back. The long straight edge is 38.5 inches long, and at its widest point the veil is 26.5 inches long. It is hemmed with a 1/4 hem sewn with a blind stitch (because I still can't figure out a rolled hem).

I love the drape of the veil!

 
The veil had a very pleasing drape, especially in the back where the bias edges fell against each other. Overall this was a very satisfying, quick, and easy project, if not perfectly historically accurate!

To secure the veil to my head, I cut a strip of muslin 3 inches wide and 25.5 inches long. Folding it in half lengthwise, I wrapped it around my heads and secured it with pins. I then pinned the veil to this. This was a very easy and effective method, as the strip not only kept my coiled braids in place, but provided a sturdy foundation for the veil.




Do you have any tricks for hiding hair with period headcoverings?

Popular Posts