Thursday, November 29, 2012

18th Century Embroidered Pockets

If you remember, back when I made my Chemise a la Reine, I also made the correct undergarments to wear with it. These undergarments included a set of 18th century pockets. However, unlike extant examples, I never got a chance to embroider mine.

From the Museum of Bath, England, mid 18th century
That is, until now! I picked up my pockets the other day and bought a package of embroidery needles and a few colors of thread: a soft, mossy green; a deep blue; a cornflower blue; a powder blue; a magenta; and a dusty rose. I used a satin stitch technique I found in a book from my local library, and I love how plush and full this stitch is.

This project doesn't really have a deadline, it's more of like a pick-up-put-down project, like I'll work on it in the car or when I'm waiting around without anything else to do. I've found that embroidering is CRAZY good at relieving stress, I did the bulk of this in school and on vacation, and in school it really helped me to block out all the stress and noise for a little while.

My embroidery design is loosely based on this image:


So, how about some in progress pics?

I really do love the color scheme, the muted raspberry and golds against the strong azure.

Some more work still to be done on the left side...

All that's left on this side is to fill in the stems and vines with green thread!

I started filling in the stem here, but don't like the color green I chose. Going to tear it out and try using the same green as the lighter green of the leaves and berry stems. But look at that crazy gold flower!


The other pocket--not nearly as much done, but you can see the faint outline of the design.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! It's Carly! Did you know that your blog comes up at the top of google image search when you look for 18th century pockets (I bought the Penny River kit and was looking for inspiration).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Hah, I had no idea! To this day I haven't finished the embroidery on these. One tip that I learned from making these is to not use all six strangs of embroidery floss - 2 or 3 strands may be the sweet spot. I think this was my first experience with embroidery so I had no idea that you could split the floss!

      Delete