Female Link Cosplay Commission

Sorry I  don't have a DIY Inspiration post for you all today, things have been a little hectic up here in the East Coast! Thankfully my family and I weren't battered too badly by Hurricane Sandy, but there are places so close to us that felt the awful effects of such a powerful storm. That was followed up by a bit of snow right before my 19th birthday, which was not too bad at all (:

Anywho, since I haven't posted about sewing in a while, I figured I might show my readers one of my recent sewing commissions: a feminine Link costume!

My client wanted to cosplay Link for Comic Con (jeez, I know, I should've made this post about a month ago!), but wanted a dress she could wear for other occasions--in other words, not something so obviously costume-y.



I designed and drafted a pattern for a princess-seamed dress, with a high-low hem, a soft v-neck, and short sleeves which would retain the iconic characteristics of Link (the particular shade of green, the v-neck) with wearable modern touches (the high-low hem). My dress had gores between the seams from the hip to the hem, adding nice swishiness to the dress. The dress was completely lined in a complementing shade of green polyester satin stuff (seriously, the fabric one buys at Walmart, sometimes doesn't even FEEL like fabric...) and the zipper (brown, to pick up on the brown tones of the character's belt and boots) was completely hand sewn in, nested between the lining and outer fabric on the center back seam, and definitely my best zipper to date. I also made Link's cap, literally two triangles sewn to a band which was then turned under and slip-stitched.

And might I add she makes a great Link! 
A view of the whole dress--the princess seams fit perfectly!
Close-up of the princess seam

Popular Posts