Simplicity 8162 18th Century Bum Pad



This year, I finally committed to building a historically accurate 18th century ensemble after having been obsessed with the fashions from this time period for years! After finishing my stays, my next step was to create a bum pad.


THE MATERIALS
I used cotton damask sheets for the bum pad. I purchased this gorgeous sheet set years ago, only to realize large areas of the sheet set were discolored - into the mock up fabric pile it went! The tone-on-tone damask pattern is subtle, but pretty, and the fabric was very easy to work with.

I used cotton twill tape that I'd bought on a large spool from bay for the waist ties. The bum pad is lightly stuffed with polyfill from an old pillow. Yay for creative reuse!



THE PATTERN
I used Simplicity 8162, the first 18th century undergarments pattern by American Duchess. The pattern was easy to follow. I made the bum pad to the smallest size, without adjustments or a mock up.

This bum pad made up so quickly! The entire process, from cutting out the pattern pieces to hemming the ruffle, took less than 2 hours. I sewed this by machine as I had already taken shortcuts with the materials.

Note: stuff the bum pad less than you initially estimate. Too much volume in the bum pad may create a caricature-esque look! I ended up removing nearly half of the stuffing and I'm really pleased with the gentle roundness of the final shape.




Many thanks to the American Duchess team for creating a great, easy to use, easy to fit pattern.

As always, I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any questions or comments about my sewing methods. Happy stitching!

Popular Posts